Drug test instructions for Employers and Parents. Step-by-Step Guide on how to drug test an individual. Identify the cheaters and get accurate results.
Step by Step instructions.
Drug test instructions set below are what you need when testing an individual for testing for drug and alcohol abuse. Follow these instructions and you are guaranteed that each person you test is not trying to cheat.
NOTE: Never give notice to the person you will be drug testing. Even short notice may allow a “user” to try and beat the drug test. Don’t be fooled! People will go to great lengths to try to cheat the test. “Trust me we see it every day at our testing facility”
These instructions are for urine testing with test cups or dip cards.
Using a drug test kit to test someone is only part of the solution, because without the correct testing procedure you will never be sure if the results are correct and the donor hasn’t cheated. So follow the procedure that we use when testing a client.
Drug Test Instructions for the donor.
The donor is the person providing the urine for testing.
- Tell the donor exactly what is required of them so they understand what to do.
- Ask them to remove any outer garments that may be concealing paraphernalia and place on one side.
- Then ask them to empty their pockets and turn them out so you are sure they are not hiding anything.
- Now ask them to wash their hands to clean off any adulterants that may be present on their hands or under their fingernails.
Drug Test Instructions for the collector/administrator.
The collector/administrator is the person who records the test.
- Print a copy of the drug test record form.
- Open a new drug test and place on the counter.
- Have a clean dry specimen cup ready for the donor so they can provide a urine sample from the bathroom. Preferably use a specimen cup that has a temperature strip on the side so you can check the temperature. (this applies to dip cards only)
- Tell the donor you need a minimum sample of 30 ml and to complete the task as quickly as possible.
- Tell the donor to not flush the toilet after the sample has been provided. You need to check the toilet for signs of discarded paraphernalia.
- If you are using a specimen cup, then check the urine temperature. This should be between 93 to 98 degrees Fahrenheit. If the temperature is out of range, ask the donor to provide a new sample or ask them to wait until they can. Do not allow them to leave the area until a sample has been provided.
- Examine the urine color; it should be light yellow in color with a slight odor. It should not be bright yellow or clear. These are warning signs that the sample may have been substituted.
- We recommend that you use a drug adulteration test strip whenever possible to establish the samples integrity.
Drug Test Instructions for dip and cup tests.
- Open the package containing the drug test.
- Discard the desiccant in the package.
- Remove the protective cap from the dip drug test and immerse just the tips it into the urine sample. Do not flood the device as this will invalidate the test.
- After 20 seconds remove from the urine sample.
- Replace the protective cap and place on a flat surface and wait for the results to appear.
- Within the first minute you will start to see a reaction with lines gradually appearing.
- After 5 minutes read the result.
- Open the package and remove the cup drug test.
- Discard the desiccant in the package.
- Take the lid off the device and ask the donor to provide a sample directly into the cup up to the level marked on the side. Once a sample has been collected, place the lid on the cup and check the temperature.
- Depending on the type of cup used, you may need to place it on its side to complete the process. Always refer to the device instructions.
- Read the result after 3 minutes or as they appear.
Documenting the test result.
Document the donor’s result and all pertinent detail onto the drug test record form. Enter drugs tested, the date, time, temperature, and test result clearly. Ask the donor to sign the test record agreeing to the result.