Step by step guide for testing individuals, identifying the cheaters and getting reliable results.
Download and Print: Testing Instructions.
○ Drug test instructions for urine test cups or dip cards.
Using a drug test kit to test someone is only part of the solution because without the correct testing procedure you will never be sure if the results are accurate and the donor hasn’t cheated. So follow the method we use when testing a client.
Never give prior notice to the person your drug testing. Even short notice may allow a “user” to try and beat the drug test. Don’t be fooled! People will go to great lengths to try to cheat the test. “Trust me we see it every day.”
Drug test instructions below, are a set of prompts to help you test an individual for possible drug and alcohol use. Follow these instructions, and you are guaranteed to catch any person who is trying to cheat.
○ Drug Test Instructions for the collector/administrator.
The collector/administrator is the person who records and administers the test.
- Open a new drug test device and place on the counter.
- Have a clean, dry specimen cup ready for the donor so they can provide a urine sample in the bathroom. Preferably use a specimen cup that has a temperature strip on the side so you can check the temperature. (this applies to dip cards only)
- Tell the donor they need a minimum sample of 30 ml and to complete the task as quickly as possible.
- Tell the donor not to flush the toilet after providing a sample. You need to check the bathroom for signs of discarded paraphernalia.
- If you are using a specimen cup, then check the urine temperature. The temperature should be between 93° – 98° Fahrenheit. If it’s out of range, ask the donor to provide a new sample or ask them to wait until they can.
- Do not allow them to leave the area until the test is complete.
- Examine the urine color; it should be light yellow with a slight odor; fake urine has no odor. It should not be bright yellow or clear diluted. These are warning signs that the sample may have been substituted or diluted.
- We recommend that you use a drug adulteration test strip whenever possible to establish the integrity of the sample.
○ Drug Test Instructions to the donor.
The donor is the person providing the urine for testing.
- Explain the test process in precise detail before testing.
- Ask them to remove any outer garments that may be concealing paraphernalia and place on one side.
- Then ask them to empty their pockets and turn them out, so you are sure they are not hiding anything.
- Now ask them to wash their hands to clean off any adulterants that may be present on their hands or under their fingernails.
○ Drug Test Instructions for using dip and cup tests.
Instructions when using a dip test.
- Open the package containing the drug test.
- Discard the desiccant in the package.
- Remove the protective cap from the dip drug test and immerse just the tips it into the urine sample. Do not flood the device as this will invalidate the test.
- Remove from the urine sample after 20 seconds.
- Replace the protective cap and place on a flat surface and wait for the results to appear.
- Within the first minute, you will start to see a reaction with lines gradually appearing.
- After 5 minutes read the result.
Instructions when using a cup test.
- Open the package and remove the cup drug test.
- Discard the desiccant in the package.
- Take the cup and unscrew the lid, ask the donor to provide a sample directly into the container. Fill to the level marked on the side.
- Replace the screw top and check the temperature.
- Depending on the type of cup used, you may need to place it on its side to complete the process. Always refer to the device instructions.
- Read the result after 3 minutes or as they appear.
○ How to document the test result.
Document the donor’s information on the form.
Enter the reason for the and the time.
Ask the donor to consent to test by signing and dating.
Enter all pertinent information as to the type of test and what drugs are to be tested.
Document the sample temperature and results with any additional remarks.
Finally, as the administrator, sign and date to complete the process.