Drug Test Instructions using approved methods
Drug Test Instructions Using Approved Methods
- Instructions for urine test cups and dip cards
- Instructions for the Collector/Administrator
- Instructions to the donor
- Instructions for dip cards
- Instructions for cup tests
This is your Step-by-Step Guide on how to test an individual for drug abuse, getting reliable results, and identifying the cheaters on the way. We cannot stress to you how important it is to administer the process correctly. A drug test will only give you the correct result if you follow and understand the instructions thoroughly.
Download and Print: Drug Testing Instructions.
Instructions for urine test cups and dip cards.
Using a drug test kit to test someone is only part of the process because without the correct testing procedure, you will never be sure if the results are accurate and the donor hasn’t cheated. So follow the method we use when testing a client.
Never give prior notice to the person your drug testing. Even short notice may allow a “user” to try and beat the drug test. Don’t be fooled! People will go to great lengths to try to cheat the test. “Trust me we see it every day.”
Drug Test Instructions for the collector/administrator.
The collector/administrator is the person who records and administers the test.
- Remove a new testing device from its sealed pouch and place it on the counter.
- Have a clean, dry specimen cup ready for the urine sample. Preferably use a specimen cup with a temperature strip on the side to check the temperature. (For dip cards only)
- Check the sample temperature. The temperature should be within 93° to 98° Fahrenheit. If it’s out of range, ask the donor to provide a new sample or ask them to wait until they can.
- Please do not allow them to leave the area until the process has been completed.
- Observe the urine color; it should be light yellow with an odor. Bright yellow or clear urine are warning signs that the sample may have been substituted or diluted.
- We recommend that you use a drug adulteration strip whenever possible, to establish the integrity of the sample.
Instructions to the donor.
The donor is the person providing the urine for testing.
- Ask them to remove any outer garments and place them on one side.
- Then ask them to turn out their pockets and empty their contents. This ensures they are not trying to hide anything.
- Now ask them to wash their hands to clean off any adulterants present on their hands or under their fingernails.
- Tell the person they need a minimum urine sample of 30 mL and complete the task as quickly as possible.
- Tell them not to flush the toilet after completion. You need to check the toilet bowl for signs of discarded paraphernalia.
Drug Test Instructions for dip cards.
Open the package containing the dip card.
Discard the desiccant in the package.
Remove the protective cap from the dip card and immerse only the tips into the urine sample.
Remove from urine sample after 20 seconds.
Replace the cap and place the device on a flat surface.
Within the first minute, a reaction will begin to appear.
Read the result at 3 minutes.
Drug Test Instructions for cup tests.
Remove the top from the cup and ask the donor to
provide a urine specimen directly into the container.
Fill to the level marked on the side.
Replace the top and ‘Read the Temperature’.
93° to 98° F.
Optional. Read the result for the alcohol test at 1 minute.
Read the result to the drug test at 5 minutes.
Always refer to the device instructions.
How to read the result.
Here’s how to document the result.
- We recommend you document every test for future reference.
- Enter the donor’s information.
- Enter the reason for the test, date, and time.
- Instruct the donor to sign and date.
- Enter the type of test and what drugs were analyzed.
- Enter the sample temperature and result and any additional remarks.
- Finally, as the administrator, sign, and date to complete the process.