Workplace drug abuse
Substance abuse in the workplace may not be evident, but statistically at least one of your employees will be abusing. The question is, what are you doing about it? Are you currently doing any testing? If you are, are you following a strict policy of no to drugs?
The figures for substance abuse in the United States of America are astounding.
Here are statistics from the American Council for Drug Education.
- 60% of the world’s illegal drugs are consumed by Americans.
- 2,000,000 Americans use heroin.
- 6,000,000 use cocaine.
- 18,000,000 suffer from alcohol abuse.
- 23,000,000 people use marijuana at least four times a week.
Of all substance users, 74.8 percent are employed and active in the workplace, this means that 12.9 million individuals actively use drugs in the workforce, according to the Occupational Safety & Health Administration (OSHA).
The dangers of workplace drug abuse
Using drugs impairs decision-making abilities as well as physically impairs people, this is a deadly concoction when on the job. In fact, between 10 and 20 percent of American workers who die at work has tested positive for drugs or alcohol. A study by OSHA states that the most dangerous occupations, such as mining and construction also have the highest rates of abuse used by their employees.
Latest posts by Product Manager
- Buying a drug test kit from the experts - January 26, 2020
- Can you tell who is abusing drugs and medications? - December 20, 2019
- How to test for oxycodone with an opioid drug analysis - December 10, 2019